Thursday, July 26, 2018

"I am proud of all my friends today." -Chandler Bing

My husband and I went to Chicago this past weekend to attend the wedding of one of my good friends from college. I was so excited to go, but also super anxious since we'd be leaving our kids at home. We've left Max and Louisa for an extended amount of time (once for our anniversary trip last year and once when Marco was born), but I've never left a baby overnight while I was breastfeeding, and I truly contemplated smuggling Marco along for the trip as I put him to bed the night before we left. Deep down, I knew they would all be fine, but I'm a worrier and a control freak, so I really had to psych myself up before we left for the weekend.

I had a wonderful group of friends in college. I'm so glad I found them freshman year because they were the perfect fit for me. Those four years at Miami were some of the best of my life, and I have this group of extraordinary people to thank for that. I always say that you couldn't pay me enough to go back to high school, but I'd 100% go back to college...as long as all of my favorite people went back with me.

Let me tell you, this past weekend was exactly what my soul needed. I've seen a couple of my friends from college within the past couple of years, but I haven't seen most of the other friends that were at this wedding since graduation in 2007--11 years ago! SO MUCH changes in eleven years. And I didn't think it was possible for this group of people to get any better than they were back then, but they far exceeded my expectations.

These wonderful people are still just as down-to-earth, fun, kind, hilarious, intelligent, and caring as they were the day they graduated...probably even more so. Back then we were just kids, 21 or 22 years old with no idea what our lives had in store for us. But last Saturday, as we danced the night away, we had somehow morphed into husbands, wives, parents, teachers, doctors, lawyers, engineers, CEOs, entrepreneurs...I was awestruck by how much these friends of mine have accomplished since we crossed that stage eleven years ago. I must've said at least ten times that I couldn't believe how grown up we all are. How are we old enough to have experienced so much?!

Friends, I'm so proud of you all. I'm honored to be your friend, and I know you're all going to continue to do great things in your lives. Even those extraordinary ladies who have married into the group: despite only knowing you for a few days now, I'm so inspired by you, and those boys (technically they're men, but several of them were pants-less by the end of the reception, so yeah...still boys) are so lucky to have you by their side. You complement them perfectly.


(photo quality is garbage since we were in a dark bar, but I still love it so)

And while I'm bragging on people, I can't forget to mention how proud I am of myself and Victor for going on an adventure as "Rachel and Victor" for once instead of "Mom and Dad." It was so rejuvenating to get pampered with my girlfriends, walk around the city without worrying about missing someone's nap or feeding anyone other than ourselves, stay up late and enjoy some adult beverages without fear of being woken in the middle of the night to baby cries or toddlers with bad dreams. After talking to several people who left their kids home for the weekend, it sounded like all the parents were in need of a weekend away to let loose and recharge. I had to leave the reception for about 30 minutes to pump, and I had so much FOMO while I was gone...I didn't want to miss a single minute of fun with everyone! I returned home with such a full heart and happy soul. It was exactly what we needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!