Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Team Braverman

You guys.

Parenthood is ending.
I don't think I'm going to be able to handle it.  For realz.  What am I going to do without the Bravermans?!

I didn't get into the show until I started working at my "new" school two years ago.  Every Friday at lunch, my teammate (and now good friend), Cindy, would ask our Speech-Language Pathologist, Diana (also a good friend), "Did you watch Parenthood last night?!," and then they would discuss.  Naturally, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I could join in on their Friday lunchtime analysis.  I caught up on the current season (I think it was season 4) online and was hooked immediately.  Then I joined Netflix so I could watch the first 3 seasons to get all the background deets.

This past summer, I watched seasons 1-5 again on Netflix to prepare for the farewell season (newborns make binge-watching easy).  

And now here we are.  On the eve of the series finale.  I need to cope with my grief somehow.  So I will tell you some reasons why I love the show.

The characters
They're so real and dynamic. Dedicated parents, angst-y teenagers, precocious children, wise-cracking siblings.  This cast of characters runs the gamut.  I can't choose a favorite character because they're all so great.  The actors are beyond amazing, and there's a chance that I stalk many of them on Instagram.

source

The relationships
Overall, it's a show about a family: Zeek and Camille Braverman and their four grown kids, Adam, Sarah, Crosby, and Julia.  They all have spouses and/or children of their own, but each relationship is unique.  There's the bond between siblings.  There's the love and respect for parents and grandparents, children and grandchildren.  There's sibling rivalry and conflicts.  There's relationships outside of the family.  You see so much love, support, understanding, and forgiveness in each episode, and I always find myself reflecting on the interactions in the show and how I could use the examples in my own life.

source

The issues
Marriage, divorce, addiction, substance abuse, autism, adoption, infidelity, religion, retention (in school), homosexuality, bullying, cancer, heart disease, PTSD, sex, child rearing, death...I'm sure I forgot some.  This show has covered it all!  Every issue they feature is explored so beautifully and deeply and brings out all the feels.  I'll get all personal and tell you that I have always been against cheating/infidelity; I've always felt it was cowardly, disrespectful, and impulsive.  But then I saw Joel and Julia's marriage unravel in season 5, and my eyes were opened to how it could happen...how one could be driven to cheat or seek comfort and companionship outside of the marriage.  This show makes you think things you never thought you could think!

source

source

source

The Feels
Oh, the feels.  This show hits you right in the middle of 'em.  I cry, I laugh, I shout, I curse, I sometimes even sit in silence as I process it all.  It's all so real and expertly delivered, you can't help being moved by it all.  It's such a beautiful show.

source
source
source

If you haven't already explored the beautiful world of Parenthood, hopefully I've piqued your curiosity.  Seasons 1-5 are on Netflix.  Go get your binge-watch on.

There's no doubt I'll be crying throughout tomorrow night's final episode, likely due to the goings-on in the show, but also because I'll be sad it's over.

source
Go Team Braverman!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!