Thursday, July 2, 2015

Recipes That Rock | Tasty Turkey Burgers

Raise your hand if you're loving the summer grilling season.  You can't see me, but both of my hands are waving emphatically in the air because this gal LOVES some grilled goodness.  I'm not a grillin' gal myself, but I'm really good at preparing foods to be grilled up by my wonderful hubby.  And I'm even better at devouring them.

I'd have to say that my favorite thing to prepare and eat from the grill has got to be my turkey burgers.  I'm going to go ahead and toot my own horn here and say that I make some pretty darn good ones.  When I first made turkey burgers years ago, I used a recipe and followed it to the letter.  Now I just wing it.  In fact, I don't even know where that recipe went.  I've made them with an egg a few times, but now I don't.  I've made them with some bread crumbs, but I don't think those are necessary either.  Sometimes I add spinach.  I prefer using just-purchased ground turkey, but many times I use ground turkey I bought from Costco and froze, then thawed.  Thawed ground turkey can be quite gooey, but the burgers still grill up nicely.

Since I never measure things out anymore when I make these burgers, these estimates might be off.  My apologies.  I think you'll forgive me, though, after you devour these burgers.

Tasty Turkey Burgers

Yields 5 burgers

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1/3 white or yellow onion, diced
  • 1/3 green pepper, diced
  • 1/3 red pepper, diced
  • salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Directions:
  1. Chop all the veggies and add them to a large bowl. 
  2. Remove your rings (for realz, do it).
  3. Add the ground turkey and use your hands to mix the veggies and meat together until well blended. 
  4. Add the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder (be generous) and mix well.
  5. Mold the turkey-veggie mixture into burgers the size of your choice. 
    I read somewhere that pressing your thumb into raw burgers can prevent them from shrinking up too much.  I feel like it worked with these ones!
  6. Wash your hands, put your rings back on, grill those babies up, and enjoy!  The veggies really add a lot of flavor to the otherwise bland turkey meat.
Sorry I don't have pictures of the finished products.  We ate them too fast!  Also, for size reference, that is a 9x13 pan that those burgers are in.  With 1 lb of ground turkey, you can get about 5 burgers this size, maybe a little smaller.  I was using 3 lbs of meat to make lots of burgers this time.

Let me know if you try them!  They'd be great for the 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!