Thursday, May 12, 2016

Where the heck have I been? A life update

It's been a while since I've been around these parts. There are a few reasons for my extended hiatus. First and foremost, I just didn't feel like I had much to say or share. I also decided that I'd prefer to nap during Max's nap instead of banging out posts. Lord knows my days of getting in an afternoon nap are numbered once this baby arrives! Give me all the naps!

If I'm being completely honest with you, though, the underlying reason it's been quiet over here for so long is because I've been trying to decide if I want to keep this ol' blog going into the future. With another babe arriving any day now, I just don't know if I will have the time or desire to post regularly, if at all. I enjoy sharing in this space, but I'm not one who can quickly create and publish a post. I read, reread, edit, and obsess over each post I share, and it gets pretty time-consuming. For a while, I had dreams of growing this blog and gaining more followers--even seeking out sponsorships and trying to earn income though blogging--and perhaps I will do so in the future. But at this point, I'm just not sure I have the energy to put in all the effort to reach those goals.

All that aside, today I felt inspired to jump on here and share a bit about what's going on in our lives here at Casa Little Blue Sailboat.

Pregnancy: I'm exactly 38 weeks along today. I'm feeling great (minus the head cold that's plaguing me this week), I'm having incredibly irregular contractions (mostly of the Braxton Hicks variety), I'm dilated 1 cm/50% effaced/baby is at -3 station (aka baby is happy where she is right now), and I've been tested for preeclampsia so many times over the past couple of months I can't even count (all have been negative thus far). My blood pressure is always high at my OB visits, but it's normal at home (I check it at least once a day), and I have no other preeclampsia symptoms. I've been sent to labor and delivery at the hospital twice to monitor my BP and the baby, and both times, my BP normalized fairly quickly and I was sent home. I appreciate the extra precautions but it's also pretty frustrating. There's talk of induction within the next week, but I'm hoping I can keep her cooking for as long as she needs. Our 36 week ultrasound showed a very healthy baby, but she's on the small side, so as long as my womb is still safe for her, I'd like to keep her in there! I have a checkup with my OB again tomorrow and a biophysical profile ultrasound scheduled for next Monday. We are as ready as we can be for her to arrive: hospital bags are packed, Max's overnight bag is packed, nursery is ready, carseat is installed, diapers are stocked, clothes are washed and organized, crib rail covers are finally done. It's just a waiting game now! 

37.5 weeks along on Mother's Day

Crib rail covers are finally done. They were quite time-consuming, but they'll be much easier to remove/clean than the fleece ones I made for Max. Tutorials I used for inspiration are here and here.

Max: This kid is going to be 2 next Tuesday! I feel like we were just celebrating his first birthday! He's talking up a storm, has such a fun personality, and he baffles us with his intelligence every day. He's super independent and enjoys having various responsibilities/opportunities to help around the house (he takes refilling the dog food bowl very seriously). He's growing like a weed and is pretty much all grown out of his 18-month clothes (especially pants) and is solidly into 2T size clothing (he's busting out of his 24-month PJs I just recently bought him!). I have no doubt that he is going to be an awesome big brother--although I do expect him to have some issues with not being top dog anymore.

He loves looking at this photo from his first birthday party. The cake gets a shout out every time he names everyone in the picture.

Seeing him sitting "criss cross applesauce" the other day melted my heart

Husband: He's been so helpful with getting things all ready for baby, and he's also helping pick up some of the slack around the house now that I'm not as mobile/capable of doing as much. He's pretty great.

Houseguest: My sister took a travel nursing position for the next three months at a local hospital, so she and her dog, Mya (Max calls her "May"), are living with us while she's working out here! She and my mom drove out here the last weekend in April to move her clothes and other belongings (my mom coming was a surprise to me!), and she's already put in two weeks of work out here! She's been such a huge help around the house and with Max, and we just love having her around.

Max loves having Mya here. And his Auntie Ha.

My second Mother's Day: Victor and Max did a lovely job spoiling me last Sunday. Victor took Max out to get my favorite donuts and decaf Starbucks in the morning. He also made some delicious omelets. I received a hand-painted photo canvas and mug from Max, as well as a Willow Tree figurine from Victor. We all took awesome naps (my sister included) Sunday afternoon and then joined all of Victor's family for dinner at California Pizza Kitchen. It was a lovely day.

Mother's Day 2016

Randoms: I just finished reading Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova. Great read about a man and his family dealing with his diagnosis of Huntington's Disease. I've started reading The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty (so far, so entertaining). Max and I are consuming a lot of watermelon. Kenny the Dog is having lots of fun with his cousin Mya. Victor got fire pit but it's been raining so darn much here (15 consecutive days of rain!) that he hasn't gotten to use it much lately. We've been listening to the Justin Timberlake station on Pandora and it's been life-changing. 


Perhaps I'll post again before another month passes by. No promises, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!