Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas Shopping Crunch Time

So how's everyone doing with their holiday shopping?

I always get a little overwhelmed this time of year, probably because I put a lot of pressure on myself to find the perfect gifts for the people in my life.  I want to make sure that the gift is meaningful or at least something the person is really going to like.  Which is why I've left several stores empty-handed in the last week.

I think this all stems from my own personal preferences when it comes to receiving gifts.  I know it's the thought that counts, and of course I'm always grateful and appreciative of any gift I receive, for any occasion.  If I could choose the perfect gift for myself, it would be something that was useful and/or geared toward my personal taste/style, and possibly meaningful/sentimental.  Price is no factor.  Sometimes the most meaningful, well-thought-out gifts are handmade or small/simple.  I don't want clutter.  I don't want stuff just because you felt obligated to get me something; in those cases,  I'd honestly prefer a nice note or card.

And now I feel terrible for having "requirements" for gifts I receive.  I apologize.  But this philosophy toward gifts I receive is 100% applied to the gifts I give to others, so I guess it's not so bad, right?  I was brought up to "Treat others the way you want to be treated."  Why shouldn't that apply to gift-giving?  I do a lot of handmade gifts when I can.  I try to stick to people's lists, if they give me one, but I also like to throw in some well-intentioned surprises.  And if they're useful, BONUS!

The people I have the hardest time buying for are my husband, my father-in-law, and my brother-in-law.  I could play it safe and get them another sweater, or I could think outside the box.  I've got some ideas, but my indecisiveness is getting in the way of zeroing in on one particular thing.  But I'm running out of time!!!

Is anyone else having the same problem?  Where do you like to find gifts for those tough-to-buy-for recipients?

On another note, we I DID decorate last weekend.  I got a little Christmas up in herrre.  And even though I'm having a hard time finding gifts for some people, at least I have a pretty tree to put them under when I finally find them.

Most of those gifts are books for Max.
 We've been doing a fake, pre-lit tree for a few years now since we often take a trip over the holidays.  Starting next year, though, once Max is old enough to understand Christmas, I want to start the tradition of picking out our tree together at a nearby tree farm.  We always did that growing up and it was such a fun kick-off to the season.

Here are some close-ups of some favorite ornaments.

This was given to us in 2012, the year we got engaged.  Victor proposed on a boat in Key West.

Our big news last year

My mom wanted to name me Noel since I was born close to Christmas (btw, I turn 30 tomorrow.  I don't want to talk about it...).  There was a period of my childhood during which I hated my given name and wished she had actually named me Noel instead.

I made this in school when I was little.

I love this Lenox ornament.  It's part of a set of 4.  This one's my fave.

Goooo Redlegs!  Looking forward to taking Max to his first spring training experience in a few months!

Another ornament from school.  That's me in first grade.
Stockings made by yours truly.  Max chose the fabric for his.

Should've closed that drawer.  And I kinda want a more festive lamp shade.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and that you're having better luck Christmas shopping than I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!