Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Recipes that Rock | Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

I'm going to warn you right now...this recipe will likely become a favorite in your house.

I found this recipe on the Kraft Foods website YEARS ago and it's still a go-to meal for us (the date at the bottom of my recipe printout says 4/29/2010.  See...years ago).  I've made it so many times that I can almost do it with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back.

Ok, not really, but it's super easy, crazy delicious, and you can easily swap out stuff here and there if you don't have everything on hand.

I've linked out to the original recipe above.  Below, I give you my revamped version. I have used regular Italian dressing instead of the roasted red pepper Italian dressing in the past; it works fine, but if you can find the roasted red pepper variety, it really adds to the flavor.  Also, I have been known to decrease the amount of stuffing mix and increase the amount of spinach and veggies.  Still turns out fabulous.  My suggestion: make it this way once or twice, then tweak it as you see fit.  Or if you're feeling adventurous, tweak it the first time!

Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breasts


Ingredients:

My veggies included zucchini, onion, and yellow and red bell peppers.  I also added more spinach because...yum.

  • 2 tbsp Roasted Red Pepper Italian dressing, divided
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
  • 2/3 cup chicken stuffing mix
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped veggies (roasted red pepper, bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, corn, etc.) OR 1 cup frozen mixed veggies (I've used peppers, corn, and broccoli mixture)
  • 1 package thinly-sliced chicken breasts
  • shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2.  Heat  to boiling 1 tbsp (or more, if you like) of dressing and 1/3 cup of water in large skillet on medium-high heat.  Stir in spinach, stuffing mix, and veggies.  Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.  **If using frozen veggies, thaw or steam before adding to spinach and stuffing mixture.**


  3. Place chicken pieces on cutting board.  Spread with stuffing mixture.  
  4. Tightly roll up each breast.  Place, seam-sides down, in 7x11 in. baking dish.  Brush with remaining dressing.
  5. Bake 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees in center).  Top with small sprinkle of cheese on each roll-up and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
  6.  
I hope you try it!  Even babies like it!

He ate an entire roll-up himself!


Linking up for Delicious Dish Tuesday!

Eat Drink and Be Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!