Friday, September 16, 2016

Oh hey, Friday! | Things I'd Rather Not Do

Well hello, Friday! We meet again. And not a moment too soon. It's been quite a week. Monday felt like 3 days rolled into one after I took both kids to Target and decided to push Louisa in her stroller and let Max walk through the store with me. There was a meltdown about not getting to try on the shark costume; a stern talking-to with an Avengers stuffed action figure who was flying too fast through the store, thus making Max walk too far ahead of Mommy (Max thought it was cool that he wasn't the one getting the scolding); several utterances of "Mom, me nyee dis!" (I need this); and a sweet little dance party to "Can't Stop the Feelin'" (see it on Instagram here).  Then he didn't nap and was a bear for the rest of the afternoon/evening, taking a break to pass out in his chair watching The Little Mermaid for 30 minutes. The Monday-est Monday I've had in a while, people. It was brutal.

He looks so sweet and innocent here.

I did a lot of "stuff" this week. If I made a list of everything I needed to do on a daily basis, I think I'd have an anxiety attack every single day. I do a lot of stuff every day, even on days when I feel like I don't do anything. However, there are lots of little things in my daily life that I avoid doing or put off doing because I just don't like doing them; I'm sure we all have our own recurring tasks that we avoid with all our might. Here's a sample of Things I'd Rather Not Do.

1 |  Make a side salad to accompany a meal. I don't mind making a big salad as a meal, but after preparing the main course for dinner, the LAST thing I want to do is make a salad as the veggie. I don't know why I hate it so much, but I gripe about it every single time. Perhaps it's because we weren't a "salad family" growing up; we always had some warm vegetable with each meal, or the veggie was incorporated into the main dish somehow. I need to be better about it, though. Perhaps preparing the salad first will take care of this problem.

2 |  Iron. Y'all, I avoid ironing like the plague. I'm not good at it, and since I'm a perfectionist, I get so irritated when I can't get all the wrinkles out. To avoid ironing, I try to grab wrinkle-prone items from the dryer almost immediately after it's finished running and hang them up or fold them e v e r so carefully. And don't even get me started on baby items that require ironing. They should be outlawed, or someone needs to make mini irons specifically for kids' clothes; the big one doesn't work on those tiny garments. I think I'm going to start steaming kids' clothes, though; I saw someone (likely her assistant) doing it for baby Luna in one of my BFF Chrissy Teigen's snaps. BRILLIANT!

3 |  Use tablecloths or placemats on my table. Even though I don't like this, I still do it because I feel like I should. Here's my beef with those things: I have to stain-treat them if people slop on them. I'd personally prefer to just wipe my table down after my dinner guests splatter spaghetti sauce and red wine all over the place instead of treat stains on table linens. Or I could just get everyone a silicone placemat like Max uses and not worry about it. I'm seriously considering the silicone mats.

4 |  Eyebrow maintenance. I don't purposely avoid this task, I just don't notice that I need to spend some quality time with my tweezers and magnifying mirror until the situation above my eyes is DIRE. Seriously, why doesn't anyone alert me to my eyebrow status?

5 |  Be trendy. It's just too much work. I'm a simpleton, so keeping up with fashion/home decor/makeup/hair trends is just too much for me. White walls are in right now, but I have been very anti-white walls ever since my apartment days, so I'm having a hard time coming around to that trend (although I do love the brightness the white walls create in a room). I also hate painting walls so you won't find me with a roller in my hand any time soon. I don't even know what's "hip" in terms of fashion or makeup. Probably stuff I can't pull off, so I don't even try. I like to be comfy, and comfy clothes aren't always fashionable. And since I wear very minimal makeup (even to fancier events), watching makeup tutorials is not in the cards for me.


What's on your list of Things You'd Rather Not Do?




Linking up with
Karli at September Farm



1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the "trendy" part. I don't keep up with the latest in fashion or makeup. I don't like ironing either.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!