Friday, November 21, 2014

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Happy Friday everyone!

I think this is the first time this week that I've been able to sit down to blog without doing other things at the same time.  It's difficult to blog efficiently when you're bouncing a baby on your leg and trying to keep him from banging on your keyboard.  Ha!  For the creation of this post, Max is peacefully napping in his room, I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee, and a Law & Order: SVU marathon is on USA.  Aahhhh, serenity.

As I mentioned in my Chicken Tortilla Soup post, Tuesdays are always Taco Tuesdays in our house.  I try to switch it up each week so we're not having plain ol' tacos week after week, but we try to stick with the theme every Tuesday.  A few years ago, I started paying more attention to the ingredients in the packaged food items I was buying, and I wasn't comfortable with all the "extras" in the taco seasoning packets, so I looked up a recipe so I could make my own.  I am happy to say I have never gone back to the packets since!

I don't even remember where I got the recipe.  All I know is that is fabulous.  It's got a bit more of a kick to it than the seasoning packets offer, and you can alter it to make it spicier if you wish.  All of the ingredients are pretty much staples in most kitchens, so you most likely won't need to go out to buy any of the spices in order to make it.  Perhaps you'll be inspired to have a Fiesta Friday tonight to test it out!

Homemade Taco Seasoning
 good for seasoning one pound of meat of your choosing
All natural, baby!
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt (I sometimes only use 1/2 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon (about 2 teaspoons) flour

Measure out all ingredients into a bowl and mix well.  Dust over cooked meat and add 2/3 cup of water.  Stir until well blended and let simmer until sauce thickens.

Enjoy!  Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!