Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Well, here goes nothin'...

Welcome to Little Blue Sailboat!

Why "Little Blue Sailboat," you ask?  Well, my favorite color is blue.  Cerulean to be exact.  But I'll gravitate toward any shade of blue, especially if it's on a pretty dress.  But I digress.  

The first only crafty item I created for my son's nautical-themed nursery was a blue sailboat, which I painted on a burlap canvas (can it be a canvas if it's burlap?).  It now hangs above his dresser, and I love the simplicity of it.  I get to look at it each night as I rock my Baby Max to sleep, and it takes me back to when I was pregnant, giddy with anticipation to become a mommy.  Such a magical time--I miss it sometimes.


I'm very excited...and quite a bit nervous...to start this blogging journey.  I plan to use Little Blue Sailboat as a springboard for sharing--thoughts, ideas, recipes, crafts, opinions, passions, advice, aspirations, goings-on, etc.  I'm actually not very good at sharing when it comes to the physical aspect of the term; I'm very territorial (I'm working on it...).  Hopefully I'll be able to overcome that with Little Blue Sailboat.

So now that brings us to the gal behind the blog.  Here are the basics:

 I'm originally from Cincinnati, Ohio, but I've lived in Maryland since 2007.
I moved to Maryland after graduating from Miami University (Ohio) to start my first teaching job...a daring and uncharacteristic chance I took, but it was by far the best decision I ever made and I've never looked back.  I miss my family in Cincinnati every day and always look forward to my trips back to visit.

 source

I was a kindergarten teacher for 6 years.
Cue the "Awww, how sweet!" exclamations...that's usually the reaction I got when I told people what I did for a living.  I LOVED teaching kindergarten.  I taught second grade my first year of teaching and was admittedly terrified to switch to kindergarten, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed teaching those sweet little nuggets.  And believe me, kindergarten is NOT what it was 20 years ago...it's much more demanding and academically driven.  We don't finger paint, play, and take naps all day; we read, write, do math word problems, and conduct science experiments.  It was always so rewarding to see how much my kinders learned over the course of the school year.  I miss it!

 source

I lost my dad to cancer in 2008.
My dad was my favorite guy in the world.  He was handy, smart, funny, hard-working, and my biggest supporter.  He was diagnosed with thymoma in 2002 and passed away on January 13, 2008.  I miss him every day but I know he is watching over me and my family, cheering us on from Heaven. 

Me and Dad at my college graduation, May 2007

 I married my best friend on June 22, 2013.
My husband, Victor, and I met in Annapolis, MD in October 2008. We got engaged in Key West, FL in April 2012 (perhaps I'll blog about this soon...love telling the story!).  We decided to have a destination wedding and chose RIU Palace Punta Cana as our location.  My dad visited the resort in 2007 with my step-family, which is why we chose to get married there.  It was one of the best days of my life, and we were surrounded by such a fun, supportive group of friends and family.  If you're considering a destination wedding, I HIGHLY recommend it!  Such a wonderful, memorable experience.  


Such a fun group of wedding guests!
Wedding photos by Antillana de Fotografia

I became a mommy on May 17, 2014.
I say my wedding day was one of the best days of my life because this day takes the cake as the best one.  Being Max's mommy has been the greatest job I've ever had.  He fills my life with so much joy; I can't remember what life was like before him.  Seeing Victor as a daddy has made me fall in love with him all over again.  It's such a thrill, being parents.  I'm blessed to be able to stay home with him and watch him grow and change each day.  While it is sad to see him growing up so fast, I also love watching him exploring his world and reaching new milestones.  However, he's less than two weeks away from being 6 months old...half a year.  Time to start planning his first birthday party...it'll be here before I know it!

7 lbs, 8.5 oz, 20.5 inches long

5 months old
photo by Dottie Millwater Photography

I've been a dog-mom since January 2008.
 I don't even know the exact date I brought Kenny home...but it was sometime in late January.  After my dad died, I was determined to get a dog and name it after him, since my dad is the one who created my love for man's best friend--he got me my first dog, Lady, when I was just 3 years old!  Kenneth Earl Phillips, III is an anxious, goofy cockapoo who just turned 7 this past Halloween.  He used to dominate my Facebook and Instagram posts, but Max has been the star of my social media posts lately.  I know Kenny loves Max, but I think he's feeling a bit jilted since we brought our little human home. 


And there you have it!  I hope you enjoyed learning a bit about the gal behind Little Blue Sailboat!  I can't wait to share more with you as I learn more about this blogging world!  Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!