Thursday, November 17, 2016

Vegetarian Chili

I promised weeks ago that I'd share the recipe for the vegetarian chili I made for the Fall Extravaganza and I'm just now getting around to it. Sorry for the delay...just trying to teach you all patience (I just know you've been waiting on pins and needles for this lol).

All jokes aside, this chili is pretty darn delicious. I've always been a meaty chili girl, but this 3-bean, meatless version gets the job done! I found the recipe in my All Recipes magazine, and I made it once before I made a triple-recipe version for the party. It's easy to increase this recipe for a large group, and the leftovers are just as good as eating it straight from the pot. We had a good amount of chili leftover from the party, so we just froze individual servings in freezer bags. When we want to enjoy it again, we just thaw it a little, then heat it on the stove. It's great with a side of cornbread (or you can throw the cornbread on top like me) and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, as well!



Vegetarian Chili

What you'll need:
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, cut into small dice
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into small dice
  • 1 green bell pepper, cut into small dice
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (add the seeds if you like it spicy!)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/2 (6-ounce) can tomato paste (5 tablespoons)
  • 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • 3 (15.5 ounce) cans beans (a mixture of black beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas)
  • Optional: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh cilantro leaves 

What you'll do:
  1. Heat oil in a heavy 6-quart pot over medium heat. Cook onion, bell peppers, jalapeno, garlic, and salt, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in spices, tomato paste, tomatoes, and water and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
  3. Drain beans, reserving liquid, and rinse under cold water. Add beans and 3/4 cup reserved liquid to chili and simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 5-7 minutes.
  4. Top each serving with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro, if using.



This is great for the cold-weather months we have in store this winter! I hope you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!