Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Recipes That Rock | Skinny Crab Cakes and Peach Summer Slaw

I'm not much of a seafood eater, but I'm trying to work it into my weekly meals more since the hubs has requested more fish-focused meals.  I make salmon once a week, but beyond that, I have a hard time feeling inspired to make fish dishes when I'm not a huge fish fan.

Lucky for me, I was flipping through Everyday with Rachael Ray a couple months ago and came across her Skinny Crab Cakes and Peach Summer Slaw recipe.  While I'm not big on most seafood, I LOVE a good crab cake, so I was super excited to whip these up.  I've always had good luck with Rachael's recipes, so I knew this was sure to be a winner.




Skinny Crab Cakes and Peach Summer Slaw
Serves 4

Crab cake Ingredients
  • 1.5 lb. lump or backfin crabmeat (I found a 1 lb. tub of lump crabmeat at Costco)
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley (I used dried parsley)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg white
  • 3 tbsp. canola mayonnaise (I used olive oil mayo)
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil for cooking
Peach Slaw Ingredients
  • 1 bag (14 oz) coleslaw mix
  • 2 medium peaches, cut into matchsticks
  • 2 pickled hot cherry peppers, sliced (couldn't find these, so I omitted them)
  • 2.5 tbsp. cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, toss the crabmeat, bell pepper and herbs.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, egg white, mayonnaise, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.  Add to the crab mixture and mix until combined.
  3. Add the panko to the crab mixture and mix gently.  Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
  4. In a medium bowl, toss the coleslaw mix, peaches, cherry peppers, vinegar, sugar, olive oil, and 1/2 tsp. salt.  Let stand, tossing often, for 30 minutes.
  5. Form the crab mixture into eight 1-inch-thick cakes.  In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1.5 tbsp. oil over medium.  Add 4 crab cakes; cook until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.  Place on a rack set in a baking sheet to keep crisp.  Repeat with remaining 1.5 tbsp. oil and crab cakes.  Serve with lemon wedges and slaw.

The crabmeat was a little expensive, but I loved knowing that my crab cakes were made from scratch and not full of "fillers."  These were a hit, even with Max!  I highly recommend trying it before the summer is over!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!