Thursday, January 7, 2016

Oh Baby! | Week 20 Bumpdate

I decided not to do weekly "bumpdates" for this pregnancy (I didn't even take weekly bump photos when I was pregnant with Max!), but I figured it's a good time to update you all on what's growing over here since we're halfway through this pregnancy! I can't believe we're at week 20 already. This entire pregnancy has felt like it's crawled by, but the halfway point really snuck up on me!



How far along? 20 weeks

Due date: May 26, 2016

Baby's size: A banana | 10.5 oz and 10 inches from head to toe (according to BabyCenter). At my 19 week appointment, the doctor said my fundal height is measuring right on track.

Gender: Unknown--we find out next week!

Symptoms: Fatigue (though not nearly as bad as in the first trimester), round ligament pain, and occasional dizziness. Also, my nesting instinct is kicking in. I want to organize all the closets and PURGE as much as possible!

Weight gain: I'm up about 5 pounds at this point.

Maternity clothes: Yes, and so happy about it! I was able to hold off on maternity pants until about 16 weeks. I probably could've gone longer, but all of my jeans needed to be washed at that point, and we all know how jeans get a bit more snug right after a wash. Not worth the discomfort! I also went through my closet last weekend and packed away all of the shirts that are too short to cover my belly (which was most of my closet) so I could free up some hangers for my maternity clothes. My mom and sister gave me some cute new maternity tops for my birthday/Christmas, and I washed all of my maternity clothes from my last pregnancy and put them up in the closet.

Cravings: I don't have too many, which is weird to me. I'm loving bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, and munching on red grapes is a favorite of mine. I've also had a hankering for deli sandwiches occasionally, but it's not earth-shattering that I can't have one.

Movement: Yes! I started feeling this nugget move at around 16 weeks, which was much earlier than I anticipated. I didn't start feeling Max move until 18/19 weeks, and at our 12-week ultrasound in November, the tech said my placenta was in the front of my uterus, which usually means you feel movement later. Regardless, I'm loving feeling the little pokes and flutters inside! The baby is most active at night or if I sit for a while after eating.



Sleep: Elusive at this point. I'm having a hard time falling asleep, and I wake up a few times a night, sometimes for a bathroom break but not always. My favorite sleep position is on my stomach, but it's starting to get pretty uncomfortable to sleep that way now, so perhaps the transition to sleeping on my side has caused my sleep to take a hit. I never used a pregnancy pillow during my last pregnancy, but I'm thinking I might try one this time around. Any recommendations?

Miss anything? Sleeping on my stomach; I wasn't able to start sleeping on my stomach again until I stopped breastfeeding Max...he was almost 11 months old by that point, so I think I've got quite a bit of time before I can sleep that way again. Also, deli sandwiches.

Best moment this week: Seeing Max's face light up when he heard the baby's heartbeat at my appointment on Monday. He had been enthralled by the Curious George episode he was watching on my phone, but when the heartbeat came through the doppler, he was awestruck. So sweet. He was also so well-behaved the entire hour we were at the doctor's office.

Worst moment this week: Monday night, Max had a rough night, sleep-wise, which means Mommy did, too. He was up crying from 2-3 AM with what I believe was head congestion and teething pain, and he woke up crying again at 4:30 AM. Add to that the fact that I initially had a hard time falling asleep that night and you have yourself a very sleepy mama on Tuesday!

Looking forward to: Finding out the baby's gender next week at our anatomy scan! Hoping for news of a healthy baby!

How's dad? He's great. He's an old pro at this whole "pending fatherhood" business, haha. Much like my last pregnancy, he asks me at some point every week, usually one night after Max is in bed, how far along I am so he can look it up on babycenter.com. He likes to stay informed.



Check back next week for some gender predictions based on old wives' tales, as well as a gender announcement later in the week!

In case you missed:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!