Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Oh baby! Round Two | How we told our people

Y'all, I feel like this pregnancy is d r a g g i n g. Seriously. We announced our pregnancy to the world just a few days shy of two weeks ago, but it feels like it was two months ago. Every day I ask myself how far along I am, and after some date crunching I realize I'm still only 13 weeks and some change. Whaaaattt?! 

In pregnancy's defense, I've never been good at waiting. This makes the early weeks of pregnancy crawl by at a snail's pace. Both with Max and with this pregnancy, we waited until after our first prenatal appointment to tell our families. Call me overly cautious, but I wanted to be sure there was actually something growing in there before we told people about it. That meant we had to wait close to 5 weeks from the time we found out we were expecting before we spilled the beans to anyone. Keeping a secret for that long from some of the most important people in your life is tough business!

I had my 8 week prenatal appointment with my obstetrician on Thursday, October 15. Victor's mom came to watch Max while I went to the doctor. I had a pretty wicked cough at the time, so it didn't raise any red flags with my mother-in-law that I had a doctor's appointment. Then my mom and sister came to visit the next day, and Victor and I planned to tell them all when we were all together for dinner that Sunday night. 

My original plan for announcing this pregnancy was to have Max wander out into the kitchen wearing a "Big Brother" t-shirt. I had seen them everywhere, so I was sure I'd be able to find one; but, being the superstitious gal that I am, I didn't want to buy one before my 8-week appointment (can't jinx it, folks). That gave me only a day and a half to find a shirt before my mom and sister came. And of course, I couldn't find one. Carter's had one available online, so that was out of the question since it wouldn't get here in time. At Kohl's, I was able to find little onesies that said "I love my brother" and "I love my sister," so I grabbed those out of desperation, thinking I could have Max walk out carrying both of them. 

On Sunday morning, my mom, sister, and I went to Target, and I did some sneaky searching to see if a Big Brother (or any kind of "brother") shirt had miraculously appeared since I was there on Friday. No such luck, so I grabbed a 4-pack of plain white onesies, muttering something about wanting to have some for layering this winter. I was really planning to write something clever on one of them, but I still wasn't sure what. During Max's nap, my mom and sister headed to Old Navy, so I quickly wrote my message on a onesie and hid it in my nightstand. Once they got home, we got started on dinner preparations.

The whole weekend, I was worried that my mom or sister would ask me about how the baby makin' was going since they knew we had been trying for several months and that I was getting pretty frustrated. Luckily, they didn't ask...until we were making dinner on Sunday. I quickly lied that it was going OK and that I was supposed to get my next period in the next week or so, and that squashed any further questions. My heart was racing; I'm a terrible liar, and my sister can almost always tell when I'm trying to get one past them. It seemed to work this time, though!

Selfie-sticking during dinner prep, all while lying through my teeth!
Once everyone arrived for dinner, my nerves were getting the best of me, so I took Max upstairs to change him into his onesie; I didn't even tell Victor I was doing it. I just wanted to get it over with! My heart was pounding out of my chest and I was shaking like a leaf--I don't know why I was so nervous! Max and I came downstairs and I held him close to me while I announced, "Max wants to show you all his new shirt." Then I put him down and he walked toward everyone.

He had pants on when he showed everyone his shirt. This was taken right before bathtime.
The first person to say something was my sister, and she shouted, "What?! You little sh*@! You lied!!!" Everyone else caught on shortly after and there was lots of squealing, clapping, and celebrating. My original plan was to get photos/video of everyone's reaction, but I forgot; it probably would've been shaky/blurry anyway since I was such a bucket of nerves. We didn't get any photos from the dinner, actually. #fail. But people have plenty of lovely memories from that night, so I guess it's okay.

Everyone is so excited to add another baby to our brood! I'm so glad we were able to tell everyone together this time!

In case you missed:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!