Thursday, November 5, 2015

In defense of the early "Christmas-ness"

Now that Halloween has come and gone, you've no doubt seen Christmas items taking over your favorite stores.  Heck, some stores started displaying their Christmas merchandise even before we donned our costumes and binged on candy.  Many people out there are bothered by the hyper-promotion of Christmas and the early appearance of ornaments, tinsel, and holiday-themed packaging on store shelves. Some people cringe when they hear Christmas music playing on the radio or in stores before December 1.

source

I get it, I really do.  Why are we pushing items for a holiday that's 2 months away when there are still two fairly popular holidays to celebrate beforehand (Halloween and Thanksgiving)?  While I understand that Halloween isn't everyone's favorite cup of tea (certainly not mine), Thanksgiving seems to typically be a pretty popular holiday among the masses, a holiday full of tradition and family togetherness.  Surely we should slow down enough to appreciate the significance of this holiday and hold off on the Christmas bonanza until the end of November.

Honestly, though, I get more bothered by seeing Valentine's Day stuff out before Christmas has come and gone than I do by seeing Christmas out before Halloween.  I love Christmas.  Everything about it. I get the warm fuzzies whenever I hear the sound of jingle bells or Christmas songs.  Listening to Christmas music always puts me in a good mood, no matter what time of year I listen to it.  One of my favorite things to do at Christmas time is drive around to look at Christmas lights.  Everything about that time of year just screams peaceful, cozy, and joyful...to me, at least.

source

I know that our society is very caught up in the commercialization of Christmas.  I might be a little guilty of that, too.  I'm very excited to introduce Max to the magic of Santa and his elves (although I might not do the Elf on the Shelf thing...all my mom needed to say to my sister and I when we were growing up was "The elves are watching..." and we'd straighten right up.  No physical evidence of elves was needed to convince us).  While I'm Catholic, I'm not incredibly religious and rarely go to church, but I know I want my kids to grow up with a religious influence in their lives, so it's important to me to teach my kids the story behind Christmas and the "reason for the season."  

But regardless of whether we're too commercialized or out of touch with the true meaning of Christmas, I can't shake the sense of joy I feel anytime I think about Christmas and all it entails: the music, the lights, the glitter, the trees, the ornaments, the cards, the presents under the tree, the mistletoe, the food, the family, the togetherness, the spirit of giving, the traditions...I could go on and on.  I welcome anything that brings out that sense of joy and wonder in myself and my family, so I say: gimme all the Christmas goodness, as early as you want!

So if you're one who dislikes the early onset of Christmas (and you are fully entitled to your opinion), perhaps try to look beyond the merchandise in front of you and allow yourself to feel the wonder, joy, and cheer that Christmastime should instill...even though it's a few months early.  Your disdain for the premature displays and festive music isn't going to change the fact that it's already out there.  Just try to enjoy it.  Let your heart get warm-fuzzies as you daydream about cozy nights by the fire in December with your tree twinkling, watching your favorite Christmas movie with loved ones.

2 comments:

  1. Christmas brings me joy too! I'm kind of stressing about gifts so I'm a little on edge about Christmas stuff so early, but I can't deny if I were to walk into a store right this second and see a big Christmas decor display and hear Christmas music, I'd be so happy! I just love the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a little stressed about gifts for Christmas too because I want to be sure to get great gifts for my people! But it's still the most wonderful time of the year, so it's not so bad! Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!