Thursday, November 19, 2015

Recipes That Rock | Pumpkin Roll

I have decided that I want to make "baking a pumpkin roll" a tradition in my family, likely for Thanksgiving. It's such a yummy dessert, and it is messy and fun to make--a true labor of love. I think it will be something my kids will look forward to making each year, and one day I'll pass down my favorite recipe to them.

My pumpkin roll skills are a little rusty since I've taken a 2 year hiatus from making one, so I thought I'd make one this week for our Friendsgiving on Sunday before making one with my sister for our big family Thanksgiving next week. You all reap the benefits of this practice roll since I took lots of photos so I could share the recipe with you!

I love this recipe mostly because of the cream cheese filling. I've had other pumpkin rolls that have a more cake-frosting-like filling, and they don't hold a candle to this one. The combination of sweet and tangy is simply perfection.


Pumpkin Roll

Ingredients:

For the cake:
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional--I never use the walnuts)
  • 1 dish towel and powdered sugar (for rolling up the cake)
For the filling:
  • 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)
Directions:

For cake:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan and line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar and set aside. Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel to keep the cake from sticking (be very generous).
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.  Sprinkle with nuts, if using. 
  3. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (**If using a dark colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.**)  Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Remove wax paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end. Cool completely on wire rack. 
For filling:

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth.

Once cake has cooled (about 40 minutes to an hour after rolling in towel):

Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Re-roll cake and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired. Slice and enjoy!


There were no complaints from me when it came time to lick the knife...and spoon...and bowl after this step.


I'm going to have to hide this in the back of the fridge so I don't eat any more of it before Sunday.  It's so good, even Max approves...and he's been pretty picky lately!


I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!